- Twitter Weekly Updates for 2009-12-21 #
- The Santa Party is up and running http://twitti.ms/c6v1 #
- I miss having a car.. Some jerk slashed my gf's tires and she's been borrowing my car ever since as she's too busy. Lame #
- My late night round of Civ4 was stabbed in the spine by Windows Update. Meh Bed Time #
- Waah, the Sparkfun website appears down! #
- Arduino Soldering Workshop at #Protospace yesterday was a blast! Thanks gang! #
- Arduino kits for the #protospace workshop are ready! http://twitti.ms/UM60 #
- Arduino kits for the #protospace workshop are ready! http://twitti.ms/JjLp #
- Wow, VHS is really hanging on! http://twitti.ms/MgL6 #
- Twitter Weekly Updates for 2009-12-14 #
- Wow, VHS is really hanging on! #
- Wow, VHS is really hanging on http://twitti.ms/MQv6 #
- It's difficult being a perfectionist & happy when I obsess over imperfectable endeavours #
- What a beautiful #WordPress website, took some effort to confirm it's origin. Great subject matter too: http://www.lilithfair.com/ #
- Trying to decide if this oscilloscope is working http://twitti.ms/vS3J #
- Twitter Weekly Updates for 2009-12-07 #
- Retro Lamp goes HypnoOrb – https://dawning.ca/2009/retro-lamp-goes-hypnoorb/ #
- -16 Degrees.. Seriously? WTF? #
- finished another HypnoOrb project… Will blog details later http://twitti.ms/cAY5 #
- Gearin up for another little HypnoOrb project http://twitti.ms/jykL #
- quirky hats in Mac Hall http://twitti.ms/YKmb #
- Twitter Weekly Updates for 2009-11-29 #
Candice saved this hideous old lamp from a bulldozer (literally) and for the last year and a bit we’ve had it hanging up in our basement for extra ambient lighting. The light was setup only to be turned off/on by pulling/placing the plug and that part’s so sketch that we rarely use the thing. So when it came time to replace a bulb, I decided to use a HypnoOrb instead of a more typical bulb.
Check out the Photos here.
Essentially what I did was very carefully solder wires on to the light socket and connected them to a power adapter. The power adapter was then connected in to one of my Arduino boards programmed with the HypnoOrb code, though slightly modified to respond a little nicer to the potentiometer input.
I of course had to also hook up an RGB LED to the whole deal and I goofed with that for awhile. I ultimately decided to try using this whole setup with no resistors on the LEDs.
Now, normally you should never do that as if you don’t limit the current through a diode with a resistor, you could (more like definitely will) burn out the LED. But I knew that for some reason with the Arduino that doesn’t seem to happen. Anyway, this time I opted to leave the resistor out for maximum brightness.
A couple of hours, some solder and a TON of hot glue later, It’s all come together rather perfectly. Bamboo Skewers were key in providing a little needed structure and of course much electrical tape and some soldering filled in the gaps. I also added a little off-on switch and latched on a potentiometer to set varying speeds of operation.
You can Get the code from here.
For other HypnoOrb specific stuff, check out the project page here.