Cupcake 155 Episode 3

742px-Sdramps

Screen Shot 2015-09-10 at 5.40.57 PM

Episode #3 of my Cupcake155 project has been posted.

The key jist being that I found on complex prints, I would typically get a few major slips in the print. There often were also places where the print delayed in a location for a time, this left scars too.

Ultimately, a $10 SD board and a quick firmware change later and my prints were vastly improved.

Read more here.

Cupcake155 Stream

(updated: I’ve switched from ustream to YouTube Live, this post has been retroactively updated as there’s no point with linking to old junk)

I’ve been working on Episode 3 for a couple weeks now, but until I slay a certain dragon, the episode shall remain enroute.

In the mean time, I’ve updated my main printing page with a copy of my live stream feed, so when I’m printing you can watch the video stream from that easy-to-find location.

I stream here

Cupcake155 Episode 2

After roughly a month of effort, I’ve now got my old Cupcake heavily retro-fitted and running pretty well.

Cupcake155 Episode 2 gives the key details of how I modified my old MakerBot Cupcake in to something modern and unique. Others may find it helpful to re-trace my steps and perhaps get printing sooner!

Cupcake155 Episode 1

I’ve missed playing with 3D printing since I mothballed my printer years ago. It was shelved over major pains in getting the extruder to work properly. I also wasn’t especially fond of working with ABS plastic, which feels pretty toxic to me.

A few weeks back I decided that my old printer, while in bad shape, was still most of a 3D-printer. I had been looking at ready-made products I could potentially buy, but I wanted the satisfaction of doing most of it for myself. I knew right-off-the-bat that I’d be replacing the extruder as it seems clear to me vast progress has been made about that point.

It’s taken me weeks, but I’ve got the machine operating, at least in all regards except for an extruder. I’ve documented the key steps I took to get this machine in to a usable state again on my Episode 1 project page here.

Read more “Cupcake155 Episode 1”