Adventures in Ender 3 Pro Noise Reduction (plus a Review)

I recently acquired an Ender 3 Pro. I was immediately impressed with how nicely organized everything is with it. Granted, the last printer I actually bought was one of the very first MakerBot kits. Anyway, I love my little Ender 3 Pro. As someone who’s done a lot of custom printer work, I couldn’t help but make changes, as much as I bought this machine specifically with the intent of changing nothing.

In my case, I decided to try to keep the machine looking fairly stock. I like mods that are subtle but high-impact.

Here’s a video I’ve made to largely convey the same noise reduction info that’s in this post, plus a bit of an overall review:

Here’s a quick list of the changes that I made that have substantially reduced the noise generated by this machine.

Read more “Adventures in Ender 3 Pro Noise Reduction (plus a Review)”

Cupcake 155 Episode 3

742px-Sdramps

Screen Shot 2015-09-10 at 5.40.57 PM

Episode #3 of my Cupcake155 project has been posted.

The key jist being that I found on complex prints, I would typically get a few major slips in the print. There often were also places where the print delayed in a location for a time, this left scars too.

Ultimately, a $10 SD board and a quick firmware change later and my prints were vastly improved.

Read more here.

Cupcake155 Episode 1

I’ve missed playing with 3D printing since I mothballed my printer years ago. It was shelved over major pains in getting the extruder to work properly. I also wasn’t especially fond of working with ABS plastic, which feels pretty toxic to me.

A few weeks back I decided that my old printer, while in bad shape, was still most of a 3D-printer. I had been looking at ready-made products I could potentially buy, but I wanted the satisfaction of doing most of it for myself. I knew right-off-the-bat that I’d be replacing the extruder as it seems clear to me vast progress has been made about that point.

It’s taken me weeks, but I’ve got the machine operating, at least in all regards except for an extruder. I’ve documented the key steps I took to get this machine in to a usable state again on my Episode 1 project page here.

Read more “Cupcake155 Episode 1”

MakerBot Plastruder Crash

While trying to print something on my MakerBot last night, I had an awesome fail where the heater barrel of the plastruder was ripped out. Upon continued reflection, I think this was the product of how I had the heater barrel interfaced with the insulator barrel and I think I know how to fix it without replacing parts. Check out the video below: