The highly retro monochrome laser printer, Samsung ML-1610, continues to work just fine on macOS 10.13 High Sierra. However, getting driver support took me a long time to figure out a while ago. I got something worked out for macOS 10.12 (Sierra) and posted about it here.
To my great surprise, my old post on getting this going has become the most popular, heavily visited post on dawning.ca. So… I’ve revised things and spun this in to what I’m calling “ml1610-blaster”. There’s a github repo hosting it, here: ml1610-blaster.git
How to get ML-1610 working under macOS 10.13 High Sierra
A newer version is here. I now call this ml1610-blaster.
I have a trusty Samsung ML-1610 printer that I think I bought for like $90 back around 2003. It’s been an outstanding little cheapie that so far has seen me through two undergrad programs and is now seeing my wife through her third such program. Overall, it’s unremarkable, but I like it enough to keep it going.
I’ve long-since used SpliX to get it to work under more recent versions of macOS. Lately, I’ve found splix’s installer fails to complete (I suspect SIP is in the way). And so this post exists to help me keep track of what I’ve done to install it on my wreckless fleet of macs.
While, yesterday was Ubuntu 9.04 day! With the latest official release of UbuntuLinux, I decided to put one foot in the water and give upgrading my mac pro from 8.10 a whirl. The process went fairly perfectly with one major flaw. Upon rebooting my upgraded system, my video driver for xorg was no longer functioning properly. The solution was to remotely login through ssh, download & install the latest driver (from here) and then reboot again. After that I was greeted with the beautiful new Ubuntu 9.04 login screen and the upgrade was nearly..
I did go on to find that flash wasn’t working for me properly anymore. I found an interesting post that offered some good suggestions here. Though I found following the preferred suggestion didn’t exactly work out for me. All I did was remove the nonfree flash package and then reinstalled the “flashplugin-installer” package.
I posted pretty much the same comments as above regarding the video issue, with a little more detail on the Ubuntu Forum.
My flash experience is reposted here, but whatever, cause I just said it all over again in this post.